Tolls in effect on the I-25 South Gap Express Lanes
The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) began tolling fees on the I-25 South Gap Express Lanes in mid-January.
“The Express Lanes, located on I-25 from Monument to Castle Rock, will be open 24/7 and tolls will range from .70 cents to $2 with an ExpressToll pass – among the lowest toll rates-per-mile in the nation,” CDOT stated in a press release.
Rates vary on the time of day and overhead signs display the changing toll prices. A fee of $25 surcharge will be assessed for vehicles with four or more axles. There is no fee to motorcyclists, commercial transit vehicles and carpoolers with three or more passengers and a Switchable HOV Transponder, a device affixed to a windshield that allows a driver to switch from toll-payer to carpool mode. To get a transponder, visit expresstoll.com to create an account. According to CDOT, a transponder can save 40% on tolls.
“Express Lanes are proven to relieve congestion, and drivers using the South Gap Express Lanes will see reliable trip times for low toll rates,” stated Piper Darlington, director of CDOT’s Investment Office, the division of CDOT that owns and operates Colorado Express Lanes.
Darlington also stated that drivers in the general purpose lanes will experience less congestion and drive times.
For more information, visit www.codot.gov/programs/ctio.
CDOT guidelines for the I-25 South Gap Express Lanes:
- Do not cross the solid white lines; enter and exit at the designated entrances and exits marked with a dashed white line only.
- All speed limits and standard traffic laws still apply in the Express Lanes.
- Overhead signs will indicate current toll prices. The price drivers see when they enter the lane is the price they will pay if they have an ExpressToll pass.
- The same ExpressToll passes (stickers or Switchable HOV Transponders) that are used on CDOT’s Express Lanes on US 36, Central 70, North and Central I-25, C-470, I-70 Mountain Corridor, E-470 and the Northwest Parkway also work for the I-25 South Gap.
- License plate fees will apply for drivers who don’t have an ExpressToll pass.
- The Express Lanes will be free to vehicles carrying at least three passengers and using a Switchable HOV Transponder.
- The Express Lanes will be free to motorcyclists and commercial transit vehicles.
Information provided by CDOT