Skip to content

Castle Pines North Resident All “Fired” Up

by Terri Wiebold

Castle Pines North resident, Jerry Parker, feels very strongly about the use of fireworks in residential areas and near open spaces – and for good reason.

In 1985, Parker’s house (not in CPN) was nearly burned down by a fire that spread as the result of illegal fireworks. Parker had to evacuate his home and the fire came within a few feet of destroying the structure.

Since he has lived in CPN, Parker has experienced two “close calls” with fire. Parker’s home backs to open space and twice South Metro Fire Rescue has responded to put out small fires presumed to have been started by fireworks.

In June, Parker sent an e-mail to the Master Association Board of Directors expressing his concerns about the dry conditions and urged them to take some precautionary measures for the July 4th holiday. Parker’s suggestion prompted the Master Association to team up with the Metro District and purchase fire safety signs to display throughout the community, reminding residents of the potential dangers.

Once the signs arrived, Parker (pictured left) helped to distribute and post approximately 50 signs throughout the community. The signs proved to be a useful reminder to residents and an effective deterrent against the use of fireworks in the CPN community.

“One voice can really make a difference,” said Parker. “I am just glad that mine was heard.”

Special thanks to Jerry Parker for volunteering his time to keep CPN safe. Also, special thanks to Janet Conner, Master Association Board member and Safety Committee Chairperson and to the Castle Pines North Metro District for assisting with this project.



Posted in


Recent Stories