Protect against porch pirates
Information provided by the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office
The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office provides the following suggestions to protect residents from porch piracy this holiday season:
– Enlist the help of your neighbors. If you have a stay-at-home neighbor or friend, ask them to pick up packages you are expecting.
– Consider an alternate shipping address.
– Track and customize your delivery. FedEx, UPS, and the U.S. Postal Service all offer options to require a signature upon delivery, change the time and location of a delivery, or hold a package until you are able to receive it. (There may be a fee associated with some of these services)
– Install security cameras at your residence. Surveillance video and images help law enforcement catch mail thieves and bring them to justice, but most thieves know to stay away from homes with visible security cameras.
– Report suspicious activity immediately. If you notice an unfamiliar vehicle following behind a delivery truck or unknown persons hovering around, report the activity to your local police department and the delivery service.