Castle Rock cemetery buried in history
Thanks to the Castle Rock Historical Society, people of all ages took in
a bit of history recently at Cedar Hill Cemetery. The resting place for
many old-time Douglas County families, the cemetery became a Douglas
County Historical Landmark in 2005.
Article and photos by Lynn Zahorik
A spectacular fall day welcomed more than 80 people to a historical tour of Cedar Hill Cemetery (CHC) on October 22. Founded in 1875, CHC sits on 37 acres with 3,000 grave sites. John Berry, former history teacher and Castle Rock History Museum director took visitors on a walk through time as he shared stories of many pioneers who helped shape the lore of Castle Rock and Douglas County. Located at 880 Wolfensberger Road, CHC is the only cemetery in Castle Rock.
Scouts from Pack 826 work toward their merit badge. Pictured left to right, front row: Mason Smallwood, Grady Odenbach and Jackson Krieger, back row: Brady Barclay, Steven Rummel and Quinn Polk.
The Bears of Castle Pines Cub Scout Pack 826 joined in on the tour to learn more about the history of their community. The boys are working on their “Paws for Action” merit badge in which they learn about law enforcement, energy and environmental conservation, and American history.